Friday, July 22, 2005

What I do...One More...

This is becoming a life story. Once more and then I'll begin to get to the point.

I walked away. Sort of. I tried to do something spectacular. I tried to take a strong step of faith that would have landed me on the cover of Christian inspirational books worldwide. What did I do? Go to Haiti? No. Go to Russia? No. Did I become a native American monk? No. I went to Virginia. And not even because I was following God's call. I went for Film school and for a girl.

I arrived stepped out of my truck and took a deep breath. "New Life," I thought to myself. "Ok God. I'm here. Let the blessings commence!"

(silence)

"Um...Hello?"

So, there I was. In Virginia. It felt a lot like Texas. Same air, same grass, same trees...and the same me. Only now I was alone. So to make a long story short...I couldn't really pay for Film school so I dropped out. I couldn't really handle the girl so I dropped her. I couldn't really handle myself, so I just...dropped. I ended up selling cars for the next 5 months.

I had quite a bit of time to examine the pathways I had chosen. Then God gave me a little help...through phone calls with a sensitive red-head who would end up becoming my wife. I learned a lot in that time. One thing specifically was that I needed to serve. My calling was service to God. How I wasn't sure. But, all my training and experience led me to this. Recently, my wife and I were talking and we both realized how we had kind of 'Gumped' our way through the last 8 years. You know, Not really knowing where we were going, but responding to each new turn with a sort of ignorant audacity. No matter what was thrown at us, we just kept on running...together. That's where the Children of God seem to fair best. Together.

So, it's been a while, but I've finally discovered that my experience has become my biggest reference point. God has me here, attempting to communicate his truth and love to a world who isn't really wanting to hear it. (They want to, they just don't know it yet...at least that's I feel now...it could change. ) Using creativity to turn these truths into bite-size theology. Images and situations in which most everyone can relate. I feel honored that Jesus has allowed me to do the thing that he practiced when speaking. Stories...helping people imagine without them realizing it. Honestly, I'm sure I'm still Gumping through it. Of course now, I realize I'm Gump. It's a nice feeling. So for now we'll just keep running... Until we stop.

2 comments:

Becca said...

yep God's a pretty cool guy.

M B said...

Your writing is funny and engaging. Thank you for brightening my day.

Mishele Bagby