Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Prayer For the People


It truly is amazing how many things I take for granted. When I went to Virginia back in 1995 with my uhaul and big ideas, I went with a lot of ignorance. You see, I was going to Virginia when they had been predicting that Hurricane Felix or Humberto…or Tropical Storm Gabrielle…one of those would hit in Virginia Beach. I took it in stride though. Having never realized the magnitude of a hurricane I quietly got out my Masking tape and put two big ‘X’s’ on the windows to keep them from shattering. Yes…masking tape against 139mph winds. That’ll hold. I even went to the market to get some supplies. Rows and Rows of where water and canned goods once stood were, at this point, completely empty. So, scrounged for some large containers of water, some canned beans, chili and chef boyRdee products. I found a flashlight and some batteries and considered myself prepared. I was ready for Mother Nature.

What I didn’t realize back then was just how treacherous nature could be. I was spared that fateful August, because the storm never hit us. So, I was stuck with all these canned goods and masking tape on my windows. I do, however, still have that very same flashlight. I keep it as a reminder of what ignorance will buy me - a cheap plastic flashlight.

Even when in Houston during Tropical Storm Allison, I had no Idea that this constant pouring of Rain would lead to the destruction that it did. Again, ignorant. Now, looking at these poor people, I am struck again by the shear magnitude of the power God unleashed in this world. I wish it wouldn’t have happened and I pray against those things. My heart goes out for those few who were like me - those who didn’t see it coming. I pray that God found mercy and spared them. I pray that He brings this country together for a quick and meaningful restoration. I pray that Christians will act in the face of such blatant opportunity. I pray that I will be compassionate and responsible with my fortune and help those who are stuck, some completely alone, in a strange place with little food and nothing but a cheap plastic flashlight.

No comments: