Friday, September 09, 2005

It's Amazing!


I've been able to meet some really amazing people since Hurricane Katrina hit. It's good to know that when a person gets to a point when they are almost completely self-involved, God intervenes and shows them some things that are possible.

I've been able to meet a man named Ted Ellis www.tellisart.com This man had family in New Orleans and since the hurricane, they've all come his way. 50+ to be exact. Granted, Ted has a nice house and has some space, but 50 people gets a bit overwhelming. But, what I saw in Ted, his wife and children, was an 'unselfishness' that comes directly from God. They've opened their house, their time and their wallet to a family and extended family that just needed a place to be.

It's been my extreme privilege to talk with them, make friends with them, laugh, cry and sing with them. They aren't asking for things, but they need things. They aren't acting angry, even though I know they must feel it occasionally. They are grateful to be alive and with family.

The stories are unbelievable, but necessary to hear. When one family was able to find temporary housing, after sleeping on the highway, at the dome and on the floor of the Ellis's house, they said, God sent you. We had to say...No, I really think God sent you to us. Why? I don't know, but I'm better now. I'm closer to God because of these new friends.

I wish I could have met them under different circumstances. I know that they are dazed and not knowing where to go next. I know that some of them just want to rest and go back to not having to live in a 'survival' mode. I know that they would rather not be here, but unknowingly they have created a community out of a city of 2 million. I know they feel lost and helpless, but to me, I have 50 new heroes. And through them, I've been able to see a little glimpse of God.

It's amazing.

No comments: