Thursday, August 11, 2005

Moving forward


So, what exactly does it mean to keep on running? In life I mean. Or Moving forward? You really can't help but move forward. If you're still alive, then there's still movement. This is proven fact. I guess it's a figure of speech-you're not dwelling on the past or something similar.

Why is it so important that we move forward? Why is it that we have to be moving at all? To be honest, sometimes I need a little rest. I push myself really hard to make sure that I have projects and things going on at any given moment so that I can have some sort of reference point for accomplishment. My whole life is an attempt to be like Jesus, and to be honest, he really didn't look as if he was moving forward. ( In the broadest sense of the word.) He kinda looked casual about it all. The only time I really sensed him feeling hardpressed was toward the end, when he was telling his friends about what was going to happen to him and they just weren't getting it...after three years of conversation! I wonder if he thought, "well, I've just gotta keep moving forward." I'm not sure.

I once heard that Sharks don't sleep. They rest, but are constantly on the move. I don't know if it's true, but I also heard that if they stop moving then other sharks may think that they're dead and go after them. I think that is how we have conditioned ourselves. To be constantly on the move forward or otherwise. If you're not then you others pounce in and devour your character or motives or just dismiss you as uninspired.

Lately, I've felt like I've been moving, but am not really sure which way I've been going. Sometimes things look familiar...like I've been here before. But mostly, it's just a blur. I rely on those moments where I am almost forced to sit and rest. Whether it's storytime with Liv or before bed when my wife and I play cards or talk. But you can't have too much of that sitting around...I mean your not going anywhere.

Then I think about it and...well Jesus moved through relationships. That was 'how' he moved. It was through people. He had nowhere else to go...because he specifically came 'here' for us. Basically he spent 3 full years in storytime. He focused on everyone else.

I think the moving forward I do, whether emotionally or professionally - well, it happens during those storytime moments. I guess those times when I'm focusing on someone other than myself, that's when it happens. So...it's home I go...for storytime.

6 comments:

David Dickey said...

Hey Scott, It's David Dickey. You probably do not remember me that well. Man, it has been awhile. I remember drama class at TCA, what a blow off!! Anyway, it's nice to hear you are doing good, I am still up in Arlington. My family's blog is:
daviddickeyfamily.blogspot.com. Keep in touch...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am glad that I found your blog! Great stuff.
- Tom
LandscapeConsultants.com

Anonymous said...

Scott, this is Pam Hermens Park. The "other" Pam from the class of '89. Just got an e-mail update from TCA and saw that you had a blog. I feel like I'm eavesdropping on conversations I'm not a part of when I read comments from Leigh Ann and Paul. Very weird stuff. I don't have a blog. Don't have time. Anyway just wanted to say hi and it's nice to hear how everyone's doing.

Anonymous said...

Scott, this is Pam Hermens Park. The "other" Pam from the class of '89. Just got an e-mail update from TCA and saw that you had a blog. I feel like I'm eavesdropping on conversations I'm not a part of when I read comments from Leigh Ann and Paul. Very weird stuff. I don't have a blog. Don't have time. Anyway just wanted to say hi and it's nice to hear how everyone's doing.

Anonymous said...

See what dork I am with this blogging stuff. I can't even post a comment right!

Anonymous said...

Well my good friend Scott.. it's me, Julia Shipley (Heath)! I'm not a "blogger", but it was good to read some of what's going on in your life. I was just recalling the other day how at one time we discussed in highschool that if we weren't married by age 40 (I think), we'd marry eachother! Good thing we're both married, huh! Anyways, my husband Tim and I have been married for 15 years and are finally expecting our first child (well, not until March of next year, but still expecting!). Feel free to email me if you get any time, although I don't read them but maybe once a week. Anywho, I don't want to leave my email address here, so contact me thru Jeanette Brewer's TCA alumni email.