Monday, June 11, 2007

Where in the world is Jesus?


As I wracked my brain trying to come up with the script for this piece, I was reminded, yet again, that sometimes funny things don't just come easy for me. The idea evolved many times while in the scripting process. I'm not sure if this was the most effective ending, but it flows with what we were thinking.
The premise: Where in the World is Jesus? Some people haven't found him because they might not know where to look. But, Just because you might not see him, doesn't mean he isn't there. Easy enough, yeah?

One idea that my wife came up with (she doesn't realize it, but she really is brilliantly funny sometimes) is to have the wife search for something that was on the menu...something her friend told her about., something she just had to try. She searches but doesn't see it on the menu. Then her husband would talk about the grail and the search for Jesus and then she'd say, "oh, I remember what it is I want. I want a FROSTY." but there was the problem...It really does accurately depict what happens when you look for something, but in the wrong place...but it doesn't allow us to have a good 'slap shot' at the end. It would have changed to 'The frosty! Wendy's has it, Sonic Doesn't!" Which is still very funny, however, it thoroughly blows up our initial premise.

So, when I talked to Brian and Cristy we came up with this idea. It is still very funny...these two are wonderful friends of ours and really were born to do this. They are so comfortable in front of the camera. We talked about how to end it...and I've always thought that certain words were funny. No offense to any of you 'clevelandians,' but the word 'cleveland' is just a funny word. Like dradle and 'wal mart'...well that last one was two words, the first word 'wal' somewhat funny independantly of the other, but together very funny. But I digress. We ended up with a fun quick piece that kicked off our Sunday morning.

By the way, that's my daughter in the back seat...she did great! I'd love to hear any comments that you might have.

1 comment:

JOY said...

this is great. thank you.