Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Settling in...

So, I've been trying to deal with the fact that I am now working again! I can't keep lying to myself, staying up late, pretending that I can sleep in only to awake feeling guilty and mad at the same time because I lied...to myself. Yes, I have to work, but it could be worse...the work could be that I put on my dungarees, strap on my helmet and take the 45 minute rail ride down into the mine. Fortunately, I get to put on my khakis, grab a Starbucks and snuggle nicely into my comfy chair in front of my twin 24 inch computer monitors in an attempt to regurgitate creativity in an orderly, yet unique fashion. Phew, I'm getting tired just thinking about it!

Truth is, I have it pretty good. I get to create and communicate ideas and develop friendships as part of my job. My quest and thirst for the truth of God is required and welcomed in my job description. I also get to have a few cool toys to play with...Video editing equipment, HD Cameras, Audio playthings...what else could I need? Oh yeah...Track lighting in my office...oh wait, I have that.

I don't say this to brag to those of you who trek into the fluorescent filled office cubes on a daily and sometimes weekend...ly basis. I say this to reassure you that no matter where you find yourself after a lifetime of working, it all boils down to the fact that in most moments, you'd rather be doing something else. I would, most times, rather be with my family...I mean honestly...look at them.


But then again, I'm sure that many people have it good when it comes to family. Of course, we know, one cannot have it all. There are always trade-offs. I find myself fortunate to have found a job that I love and found a family that loves me. Most of all, I find that I'm here for a purpose...not sure what, but I know it's there. I see it in brief moments. But for the most part, I'm moving forward, just like you, trying not to screw it all up. So, to you, as you go into and out of vacation and job changes and motivational challenges, be encouraged that by working, by taking care of your family, by getting the image of Jesus out into the world, you're pleasing God, even if you think it's insignificant. Be encouraged. And if you do work in a mine...I'd love to do a video piece on you...

1 comment:

R. Bayer said...

Really love it!

Also
Keep adding to your YouTubes!