Thursday, July 05, 2007

Deep thoughts On Vacation

I've heard it said from some that those who dance participate in behavior that is both lascivious and anti-Christian. When I was a boy, I might have believed and participated in this narrow perspective of the Christian life. I might have adopted this viewpoint because i didn't care about searching out the truth for myself. Actually, while in High School, my 'independant, fundamental, bible believing baptist' upbringing was beginning to wain when confronted with opinions such as these.

There was a point in my life when I thought to myself, "should I really think about this issue for myself, or should I just let someone else dictate my thoughts for me?" My entire life was filled with dictation. I was a regular administrative assistant when it came to personal beliefs. Let me know what I think pastor. It was laziness really. I didn't have time to fully seek out the truth.

Of course someone made the statement a few weeks ago, "Why do we need to seek out the truth? We've already found it?" This is the attitude in which I wallowed for several years. Then I got wise...or wised up...probably the latter.

I began to study theater and dance in College and discovered that sexual feelings and rebellious attitudes aren't directly connected with bodily movement. If it were, every time we got scared and flailed our arms trying to escape the stinging of a bee we'd be in violation of the 11th commandment, "thou shalt not dance." But we know the truth...sometimes we're scared that we might do something that might make us sin...so we impose our fear on others so we won't feel alone. Sad...but true.

Of course my daughter loves to dance. There is a purity in her movement. She is expressing herself in one of the only ways she knows how. It's probably for attention, but deeper than that, she just feels that she wants to dance. It's in her. God has given her a love for movement. How could this be wrong? Recently she participated in a recital. Along with 11 other little girls who were doing the same, she couldn't hide her excitement. This is her with one of her best friends in class.

Overall, We need to make our own informed decisions, which means that we need to seek out the information from a source that is not motivated by fear, but by love. Seek out the answers for yourself. If you seek the truth, you will find the it. You might also find a really cute picture in the process.

No comments: