Monday, May 21, 2007

Haiti

I recently returned from a quick 5 day trip into Haiti. The country is beautiful, but even more importantly, the people are beautiful. I can't quite explain the emotion or the feelings that took place in that brief moment. It continues to hit me in waves of realization as I sit in my nice house watching a tv that's worth a year or more of care for a Haitian orphan. Yes, I know it sounds cliche. Everytime I try to tell people about what I saw, it sounds cliche. I begin to hear Sally Struthers coming out of my mouth as the tears begin to form in my eyes.


It's like trying to describe the color orange to a blind person. It might just be impossible. Sooner or later, you're just going to have to take someone at their word.


While at the orphanage I struck up some friendships with some kids who are not too different from my own daughter and the children I know here in the states. The pictures show kids full of hope. I wondered why. the only explanation is that the Love that Jesus Shows through his people is inexplicably peaceful. When Love is present, so is hope. This is what I saw throughout my visit. Hope.
More later...

No comments: