Friday, October 14, 2005

The Feel of History

While in Nashville, we went to the original Grand Ole Opry. I walked in, not really knowing what to expect, but was actually moved to emotion as I stepped foot inside this historic landmark. Yeah, I’ll admit it, I grew up with parents who were, ‘closet’ Hee-Haw lovers. (Mom, Dad, if you’re reading this, then just admit it…) I actually liked it myself. We would enjoy it most every Saturday at 6:00 p.m., especially when we went to Mama and Papa’s place. That was my only escape from the small chitchat and conversation, which isn’t really that good as an 8 year old anyway, so I was actually sparing my relatives from meaningless and forgetful conversation.

As I walked in I could just feel it. You know when you sit in a chair that has been recently occupied by someone else? The warmth that you feel is an immediate reminder that someone was there. This is what I felt. Honestly, the echoes of music and laughter and emotion caught up with me and for a brief moment I breathed in deep, like you do when you’re trying not to weep. My breath stammered a bit and I just closed my eyes and tried to see and hear those years of life being lived and sung about from the likes of Patsy Cline, Roy Acuff, Gene Autry, Bob Hope, Minnie Pearl, and yes, John Bon Jovi. I didn’t expect to be hit like that.

I wonder if my life will leave such an impression. I wonder if my church…or my Christian brothers and sisters could inhabit a place with such passion that the very presence of that passion lingers? I wonder. (Hebrews 12:1)

The only way I could remember it was to revert to my tourist tendencies, so Shelly took a picture.

Now, I can say that I have stood where they stood and I’ve seen some of what they’ve seen. I am glad that I could piggyback on the passion of their lives.

Of course, I took a picture of Shelly as well and thought, now that's passion!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Glad you are experiencing past pioneers. Interesting pics - Shelly looks great but you look like your constipated.

By the way, you've come a long way from "ummm a little bit more"......sda