Friday, November 07, 2008

Vision

I attended the WFX Conference and Expo yesterday. The keynote speaker was a man named Dave Ferguson. He is the Lead Pastor of Community Christian Church in Naperville, IL. (http://www.communitychristian.org/) His congregation has grown from the initial meeting with he, his wife and four friends to a 8 location Campus with over 5,000 people in regular attendance. I mention this because what he had to say about Vision was quite remarkable.

His original Idea was simple, but not fully realized. He wanted to be a church planter. Many dreams and ideas later, a meeting with an entrepreneur friend encouraged him to think about what he wanted. Think about the end. What did he see? He thought, Church Replication. If we have everything we need and we are making Jesus known to people, then why not replicate that? He began to formulate the vision and his conclusion was simple. If your vision cannot fit on the back of a napkin, then it’s too complicated. He chose, “Help people find their way back to God.” It was Simple. It needs to be something that everybody gets. Once the vision decided upon, then it needs to be cast to the people. As I have always said, if people buy into the vision, they will do so with their time and their money. Money always follows vision. This is what followed his idea. It wasn’t that he had the answers, it was that God was up to something and was ready for someone to follow His leading. God then began bringing people in to help fulfill that vision and, whether you agree with church replication, was able to begin 8 locations with 700+ members each within a few years. Wow.

When I think about Southeast, I see a church that is strong. I see a church situated in a fantastic location. There is absolutely no reason why we should not be leading the pack when it comes to how 21st century Churches of Christ should do church. We have the staff and the people to carry it forward. I know this to be true.

Does Southeast agree on what kind of a church we wish to be? The end is different for many of us. I know the ultimate vision is the same…for people to get to heaven. But the way we reach people is an area for discussion. I think we all know what will draw people to our church, but some people might see the ‘slippery slope’ as more dangerous than a church without many people.

I was really encouraged by Dave’s message yesterday. He let me know that it can be done. I’m not referring to the mega church realization. I’m referring to the fact that vision attracts people. If people could get excited about a new purpose then we might be able to reach goals and change the world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are always looking at where they are in life. We change our paths daily. Our church has to be able to do the same. I agree with you when you say that we could do it. I am ready... and I know others that are ready too.

Just make sure to keep that interruptive dance and music idea to yourself.

Anonymous said...

I agree...one's vision on what church should be is totally different than another's. However, it is our responsibility to bring those ideas together and reach people for Christ, regardless of any differences. That is where you totally see God moving!

Off the subject...are you off of Facebook now?

daviddickeyfamily.blogspot.com

david_dickey44@hotmail.com