Friday, July 25, 2008

Marital Bliss?

I performed a wedding last weekend. I haven't done many, but each time I have the opportunity, I'm reminded of many things. My own marriage...of course. I'm reminded of how young I was, not physically mind you, but mentally. I don't think I had maintained my preconceptions by the time I got married, but I did have some idea as to what it might involve. For the most part, though, I discovered that marital bliss isn't a long term reality. I love my marriage, don't get me wrong, but when I think of "bliss," I don't also think of "work." But moments of bliss...those moments come in-between bills and talking about what's for dinner and working through issues...bliss creeps into those unexpected moments. When it does, it's like a drug. Those moments justify the work. They solidify the bond. I'm becoming better at recognizing those moments and when they come, I drink them in. So, for my friends who marry, I pray for the ability to work as well as the ability to recognize and enjoy those moments of bliss.

No comments: