Friday, August 11, 2006

Wandering

Have you ever been somewhere so unfamiliar that you acted as if you knew exactly where you were in order not to draw attention to yourself? Probably happens all the time huh? I find myself in situations - locations where I feel completely out of place, but instead of feeling uncomfortable, I simply pretend to be at home. It's my defense mechanism.

What I find interesting about the main character's beginning journey is that he is surrounded by people who don't seem to be so concerned about the fact that they are all headed for a destination that is completely unfamiliar. They all seem to have it all together. They all seem to know exactly where they are going when in reality, not one person has a clue. They don't even seem to be enjoying the ride. They all tell their stories, and cry about how they've been put upon and mistreated and maligned. They share their plans to revolutionize the barren city below. Conversation seems intelligent, but beneath it all lies complete insecurity.

When it comes right down to it, none of us really know what's going on in life. A child dies, a mother disappears, one trusted friend rejects another, sickness creeps in. Some people walk around like they understand what's going on. Truth is, their just as lost as the rest of us, or they're wandering like the rest of us. Some of us aren't so lost as much as we are wandering. Tolkien said (roughly), "not all who wander are lost." Most of us wander. Some might have a better sense of the way than others, but for the most part, we're all trying to make it the best way we know how. I think for me, I'll just admit that I have got little clue as to why or what is about to happen, but I'll try my best to enjoy the journey.

1 comment:

ThinkWells (formerly Impact Houston) said...

Hey,
Just encountered your blogspot and have thoroughly enjoyed it. (Actually spent too much time going back to read through various posts.) I noticed that you hadn't received many comments as of late, so I felt compelled to comment out of fear that you might fall to a sense of dejection and stop posting. You're too talented for that. Keep blogging away! And may God continue to bless your ministry. Sigue Su vision.