Friday, January 06, 2006

Narnia

Saw Narnia today. It's a new resolution of mine to go and see more movies. Not for recreation mind you, but mainly to keep up with the culture. Now there are a lot of bad movies out there, but occasionally one actually makes a crease in your memory. Narnia, moved me. The parallels are enticing. The story, I've always thought, was strange. The play, done by mainly by high schools now, is just drudgery. I did it in high school. Although the relieving moment came when my best friend Paul flint came out at the last moment dressed as the cowardly lion, er...Aslan. Now that was funny.
Nevertheless, This film urges me to consider myself in relation to each child. It seems I relate most to the traitor Edmond. But I wish to be magnificent and face my fears and fight my battles as Peter did. But too often I rationalize things away like Susan. But it all really comes down to little Lucy. Could we have the childlike qualities that help us overcome fear and be willing to sacrifice our comfort in order to help others? If you haven't seen it, I urge you to do so. Although I wouldn't take 7 and younger because of some pretty violent images.

Just some thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,
I took my youngest. We both loved it. Aslen's volunatary trip to the stone table made me reach for the cross around my neck.
Blessings!
Call me ASAP - I have an idea.
DP in Arlington.

shell said...

Hey stranger! Long time no see. Hope all is well with your fam.
Re: Narnia -- we read the first two books to Samuel (now 6) and then took him to the movie. And he gets scared pretty easily (i.e. Chicken Little). But he loved this! And it helped knowing what was coming. As he puts it, "If you know what's coming, it's not that scary." That'll preach. Hug everyone there,
Shelley Park